Monday, November 29, 2010

Issue #9

At times I feel that I am one of the last breathing people on this planet that does not have a Facebook. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy, but it appears to me that Facebook is actually harmful to our society rather than the social "revolution" that many people believe that it is. As I previously stated, I am in no way a Facebook expert, but my observations that I have had of it, have led me to believe that it is not conducive to a happy culture. With the invention of texting, it seems that we have lost our ability to really communicate with each other. Long gone are the days where people actually picked up the phone and could hear the other person's voice. Over the weekend I went to a family Thanksgiving where the dominant topic of conversation was about Facebook, some of the women actually brought their phone chargers with them, just so they wouldn't miss out on what was going on in their Facebook world. When it came to light that I do not partake in their newfound obsession, I was literally shunned, and none of the "Facebookers" talked to me for the rest of the dinner. I truly believe that in the world today that there are millions of fascinating and important things that we should all be engaging in serious discussions about, but instead of talking to you about it, I guess I will just have to post something on your "wall"......whatever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment