Monday, November 22, 2010

Issue #8 Jason Yates:Choosing a job.

I'd like to think that after graduation I'll be able to decide which job offer I'll accept. In this time of economic turmoil and job uncertainty, who wouldn't want to handpick their job? Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen. I have found through my previous job experience though that finding a job is less about finding openings and more about networking. To some that may go without saying. My current job was never officially advertised, which made the candidate pool for that job very limited. I found out about the opening through a previous employer. On that note, it is important even when leaving a job to maintain a positive attitude because the people you previously worked with can be very helpful in later years.

For my cover letter, I chose the job of Intensive Supervision Officer, which is a probation officer with whom a criminal offender would meet with more often then the typical offender. Responsibilities would include ensuring clients have and maintain a job, refrain from using drugs or alcohol, do not possess any firearms, as well as many other restrictions put in place by the court system. I chose to apply for this position because as a criminal justice major, it is the field in which I have the most knowledge. I found the job on HrE partners website, which lists government jobs in Kansas separated by individual counties. Most job requirements on this website recognize that school may often be a substitute for real world experience, and note this accordingly. I found my biggest obstacle when applying for this job was the interview process. Having only experienced a few interviews in my life, it is a task that makes me nervous and uncomfortable. To overcome this obstacle, I practiced answering possible questions with a friend so come interview time, I would be able to more smoothly answer tough questions.

My career ambitions are unclear due to the precarious nature of the job market at present. In spite of having a clear objective, to work in the criminal justice field, I am prepared to adapt to the changing needs of the market as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment