Monday, November 15, 2010

Issue #8

I chose the particular sales job I did primarily based on the background research I began to do on the posting. The job was offered by Yellowbook and although the specific job was like many others, the company offering it seemed to take a unique stance with how they treated their employees and what characteristics they valued in prospective employees. The company was very concerned about fostering their employees growth within a quickly changing industry. They were very focused on training and the employees potential rather than solely relying on past experience. I found this job on CareerBuilder.com, but this is not the type of job I will be seeking after graduation as I would hope to get on with an accounting firm although sales have always interested me.

Some of the best advice I could give to someone who is just starting their search would be to research the companies your applying to. The information you learn in this process should help you shape your resume and more specifically your cover letter which will make you seem like an ideal candidate if you use language similar to the companies values ad mission. This would probably also be one of the best ways to over come a lack of experience as well because you will really stand out. Also, try to relate other activities you participate in and the skills needed to excel at those to the skills required to excel at the job in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment