Sunday, November 14, 2010

Issue #8

I had the opportunity to go through the Accounting Interview Days with the Career Services and Cooperative Education offices this fall. Being a sophomore, I'm not prepared for an internship this spring, but I was interested in getting to know the firms a little more for later down the road. So, I wrote my résumé and cover letter for an interview with BKD (an accounting firm in Wichita) next fall, based on the experiences I had with them this fall in the Accounting Interview Days. I would love to have an accounting position with a firm like BKD when I graduate. Since I plan on getting my Masters of Accountancy and sitting for the CPA, this job is exactly what I would be aiming for.
My advice for the job search process would be to use Career Services and Cooperative Education. These offices are incredibly helpful; they will help you make your résumé perfect, do a mock interview with you so you're prepared for questions employers could ask you, and help you find available positions to apply for.
The biggest obstacles I've encountered in the application process is that I don't have experience in accounting positions. I only have my classroom knowledge and my involvement in WSU's accounting fraternity. To overcome this problem, I think it's important to show that you possess the qualities the company's looking for, and that you've researched them to prove you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment