Monday, September 13, 2010

military blunders

I think Bumiller is too one-sided in her article. She basically blames all the military blunders and issues on PowerPoint; which is definitely not true. There are reasons our military has issues other than PowerPoint. In my own experience, I liked using PowerPoint, but its very easy to get too carried away with your presentations. I've planned on only spending an hour or so on creating one and there I find myself three hours later adding music and WordArt. I do not think that PowerPoint is the way to get every point across though, some complex issues are easier spelled out in a PowerPoint though. The slide shown in the article ... not so much; it definitely needs some simplifying done to it so people can understand it. Whoever made that slide was not thinking with the audience in mind, that slide may have made perfect sense to them, but it would appear that just about no one else in the world who was shown it understood it. General McChrystal even made the remark, "When we understand that slide, we'll have won the war." As the article says, the slide does look much like a bowl of spaghetti and its easy to understand why no one understood it.

No comments:

Post a Comment