Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Issue #2

E-mail is a very important communication tool in the modern life; it makes the communication within the workplace more efficient. For instance, when I am working at my office, I have to check my email box every hour. In my office, my supervisor sends all of the announcements via email. To send an email is much easier than have a meeting in person. However, all written forms of messaging can be subject to misinterpret. Stephen Leahy speaks that the recipients only have 50-50 chance to understand the right tone of any e-mail messages. I fully agree with his opinion. When we write a message, we know what we want to say, we think the tone or emotion in our message is obvious. But when the reader read them, the interpretation based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. So before you send the e-mail, it is better to proof read it in audience’s perspective. Then revise it properly. In order to improve the efficient of using email in today’s business communication, we should focus on the audiences and make sure to send the clear and concise message. It is always good to create a conversational tone, use plain English and select active or passive voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment