Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blog #8 (Issue #8)

I geared my cover letter and resume toward a corrections job in Kansas. This is definitely not the job that I would want after graduation. My dream job is to be an investigator for sex crimes or homicide. I want to eventually earn a masters in Psychology so I can further study the sex offenders and their motives, also research them along with their past.

The reason I gearn my cover letter and resumes toward a corrections job is because I am not 21, which is one of the first requirements for most criminal justice careers. Another requirement is experience. After graduation, I will not be able to just jump into investigations. I will have to becom a police officer, working in the field and then work my way up to an investigator.

One thing I can do to help with my lack of experience is attend the Police Academy in Wichita, which occurs once a year. Another thing I can do is apply for a job within the Co-op to gain experience. Something else that I can do and that I have done is go on "ride-alongs" with current police officers during their shifts to lean about their daily tasks as well as getting an inside look of what police officers actually do. Job shadowing is another way for me to gain experience.

The problem is this, I know what I want to do as a career, but I don't really know what the job title is and if I'll ever be able to reach my goal. I would love to work for the FBI, but that is one of the most challenging careers to get, let alone do. I would settle for working as an investigator for KBI though.

-Ashley Grubb

No comments:

Post a Comment